Thursday, September 08, 2005

Facts, or Fancy?

One thing people often notice about my posts, is that I often speak knowledgeably. I tend to assemble facts, and give them with references. To me, this is simply the way things should be.

If you are going to be an effective debater, you need to speak of things factually, not emotionally. Emotions are all well and good, but they do not mean a lot. I approach a debate very logically. This is probably because of my background in computers.

Computers are very logical beasts. They do not care about emotions. They do not care if you are tired. They do not decide to do something on a whim. They simply do whatever it is they are told to do. Because of this, you have to think logically when you try to fix them. I take a very scientific approach to my work, and to a great many things in life.

Now this does not mean I am a robot. I can be a very emotional person in real life. But when I am in a debate, that means nothing. You don't win an arguement simply by the force of your conviction (at least not with me). If you have an opinion, you had better be able to back it up with some facts.

One good example that I have been debating lately is the claim that some make that Haliburton is making tons of money from the high price of oil. This is making Dick Cheny filthy rich, so he wants to keep the price as high as he can, to make more money. The people who claim this may be very passionate, but they are also very wrong.

I have pointed out to them over and over again that Haliburton does not produce oil. Haliburton is not an oil company! Haliburton is a Construction company, that specializes in oil equipment. They make oil rigs, pipelines, refineries, tools, and things like that. Oil can be selling for $10 a barrel or $100 a barrel, it makes no difference to them.

Those claims make about as much sense as blaming Ford for wantinf the price of oil to go up, because they make cars that use gasoline. And when Haliburton gets a contract to rebuilt the equipment damaged by Katrina, it is only logical. After all, they are the world's leader in that kind of work. When Saudi Arabia needs pipelines, Haliburton is the first company they turn to.

Getting upset at Haliburton getting this contract is about as logical as getting upset at General Motors because they won the contract to make the "Hummer". Well, who else would you expect the Military to turn to in order to make the new military vehicle, some unknown company that works from a garage in Kentucky? Of course they are going to turn to one of the "Big 3" auto companies. I would be shocked if the next military vehicle is not made by Ford, GM, or Chrysler.

But once again, this makes no difference to the idealists. To them, facts mean nothing (unless it supports their belief). I have often noticed that I can use a source like Fox News, and they dismiss it because they claim it is biased. But they seem to have no problem in taking a single quote from Fox News, and screaming it to the world if it supports their side.

So I will just have to try and continue my debates, hoping that at least somebody cares more for facts and reality then ideology and fantasy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home