Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Katrina

Well, I am gonna start this off by talking about Katrina.

I have been active in a web forum for close to 2 years now. I got into it because it had a lot of people talking about past decades (most notably the 1980's). I liked it, but I quickly found myself sucked into the political debates.

One of the first things I noticed is how one-sided most of the posts were. They were almost universally Liberal, and anti-Bush. And most strikingly, there was very little in "reality" to the debates.

Now I have always loved a good debate. To me, it is not about "winning" or "losing". It is all about making clear articulate points. I often enjoy debating with my friends, and things almost never get out of hand. I have no problem accepting another point of view, but it is often nice if it has a reason, other then blind ideology.

Myself, there is little that scares me more then somebody who blindly follows a system of beliefs. To me, these are the kinds of people who would follow another Hitler or Stalin (as long as he is of the right political party).

We all know these kinds of people. They immediately take a stance, reguardless of the facts or reality. A good example of this is the current situation in New Orleans, and other areas devistated by Hurricane Katrina.

These are the people who started making posts less then 5 hours later, blaming all of the death and destruction on President Bush. Now that is blind ideology! And now a week later, they still care about nothing but their hatred of President Bush.

A great example is when I tried to make a point that this was a huge act of nature, which devistated over 90,000 square miles. I said it was rather stupid to blame a person, when it was nature that did all this.

To my amazement, one of the posters was proud to point out that she did not blame nature, but President Bush, because it was all his fault! Never mind that the devistated area is larger then England, it is President Bush's fault. And nothing will ever convince her otherwise.

This is blind ideology at it's most frightening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home